Your butt muscles–also known as the gluteus maximus, gluteus minimus and gluteus medius–are often the strongest muscles in your body. Unfortunately, these deep muscles are sometimes obscured under layers of fat. If you want your butt to appear rounder you can sculpt your muscles with exercise, trim down and tone with cardio, reduce fat and build muscle with a healthy diet, and choose the best clothes to showcase your shape. With a little dedication and few smart choices, your butt can look great.
Method 1 Perform basic squats.
The squat is the basic building block for lower-body exercises, and this move can do wonders for your backside. Stand with your feet hip width apart, keeping your body weight in your heels. Squat down as if you are sitting in a chair, and then rise to a standing position.
- Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
- It can take 4-5 weeks of consistent exercise to see results.
Note: For best results, do some mix of squatting exercises 5 days a week.
2 Do squats with arabesques.
This squat borrows the second part of the move from ballet, firming both your butt and hamstrings to give your booty a lift. Do a squat, and as you rise, lift one leg straight back and up as you bring your hands forward.
- Transfer all your body weight to your other leg so that you can balance.
- Lower your leg and return to a squat.
- Repeat 15 times on each side.
3 Try leg lifts.
Leg lifts are a great counter-move to do after you finish squats with arabesques. Stand in front of a tall table, counter, or steady chair. Lean forward slightly as you lift your right leg back off the floor.
- Put a slight bend in your left knee, pull your stomach muscles inward, and square your hips to the ground to prepare for the movement.
- Raise your right leg almost to the highest point you can hold while keeping your hips square.
- Pulse the right leg upward slightly and lower it back down. Repeat 30 times and switch legs.
- Use the chair or table for support as you lean forward.
4 Perform standard lunges.
Lunges tone the fronts and backs of your legs, as well as your booty and hips. Stand with your feet hip width apart. Step 1 leg forward 2 to 3 feet (0.6 to 0.9 m) and bend both knees at once. Lower your back knee toward the floor while keeping your front knee centered directly above your ankle.
- Pause for 2 seconds or do 2 small pulses, then rise back to standing.
- Repeat this exercise for 30 seconds, rest and repeat a set with the opposite leg.
5 Perform side squats.
Side squats (also called side lunges) firm your inner and outer thighs. Stand with your feet hip width apart. Step out to the right and bend your right knee, keeping your left leg straight.
- Pause while you are at your lowest point, then rise up to standing. Repeat for 30 seconds. Rest, then repeat on your left side.
- Keep your bent knee aligned above your ankle as you lower your body.
6 Do bridges.
Bridges work well to tone and sculpt your booty. Lie on your back on top of a yoga mat, with your feet on the floor about hip distance apart. Keeping your head, neck, and shoulders on the ground, lift your hips toward the sky.
- Flex your core muscles and maintain a straight line from your knees to your chest.
- Hold this for 3 seconds, then lower your hips. Repeat this 10 times.
Tip: To make it a little harder, lift your right foot off the floor for 5 reps, while holding your leg out straight. Lift your left leg for the next 5 reps.
Method 2 Using Cardio Workouts to Shape Your Butt
1 Run or walk at an incline.
To better reveal your toned booty-muscles, it can help to do some cardio work. To maximize the benefits, do cardio that simultaneously tones your lower body! Run or walk at an incline to get these dual benefits.
- Set your treadmill to 5-7 percent incline.
Start by doing a 30 minute sessions of cardio 3-5 days per week. Build up to longer cardio sessions.
2 Climb stairs.
Another way to tone your butt while getting a cardio workout is to run or walk on stairs. The best place to do this is in a stadium or indoor gym, but a library or apartment building can also work. You can rest as you run down the stairs and push your body as you climb.
- Stair climbing on a large set of stairs is an interval workout, which burns fat quickly.
- If you don’t have access to large outdoor stairs, choose a hard interval workout on a stair-climbing exercise machine. Take care not to lean your weight on the handles of the machine as you exercise.
3Go for a hike. Wal
king on rolling hills or mountain trails in an excellent way to sculpt your booty and get a good cardio workout. Look for trails in your area. Maximize your workout by wearing a 10 pound (4.5 kg) backpack.
- If you don’t have trails around you, look for a treadmill at a gym with a “trail” setting.
Method 3 Eating a Healthy Diet
1 Get plenty of lean protein.
 Protein is important for building the lean muscle mass you need for a great butt. It also helps your body burn calories more efficiently. Get your protein from healthy sources such as fish, chicken, lean red meat, dairy products, and eggs.
- How much protein you should eat depends on your body weight, how much you exercise, and your other dietary habits. Talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian about how much protein is ideal for you.
- Most people should aim to eat 15-25 grams (0.5-0.9 oz) of lean protein with every meal.
- Leafy greens, such as kale, spinach, and broccoli, are a great source of vegetable protein.
2 Drink enough water.
Staying hydrated improves organ function and helps you burn fat more efficiently. Drink a glass of water every morning when you wake up to boost your metabolism. How much water you should drink depends on your individual metabolism and how much you exercise, but these guidelines work well for most people:
- If you are a man, drink about 13 cups (3 liters) of water every day.
- If you are a woman, drink about 9 cups (2 liters) of water every day.
3 Stick to healthy carbs.
If you’re hoping to build lean muscle, don’t try to cut out carbs entirely. Healthy carbohydrates give your body the energy you need to stay fit and active. Get your carbs from sources like whole grains, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and legumes.
- There is a difference between healthy carbs and unhealthy carbs. Just because something has carbs in it doesn’t mean that it is healthy.
Tip: Many foods with healthy carbs may be higher in calories, but lower in sugar, which is a good thing.
4 Cut out junk food.
Reduce flab and boost your butt shape by avoiding foods that are high in fat and sugar. Avoid candy and soda, processed foods, salty snacks, and fast-food choices like burgers and pizza that have a lot of saturated fats.
Method 4 Wearing Cloth
es That Make Your Butt Look Round
1Wear jeans with prominent pockets. More noticeable pockets draw attention to your butt. Look for jeans with pockets that sit slightly higher on your backside to give the impression of a rounder, firmer butt.
- Consider looking at embroidered or embellished pockets as well.
1 Wear jeans with prominent pockets.
More noticeable pockets draw attention to your butt. Look for jeans with pockets that sit slightly higher on your backside to give the impression of a rounder, firmer butt.
- Consider looking at embroidered or embellished pockets as well.
2 Wear tighter jeans.
Choosing jeans that fit well in the seat is one of the best ways to make your butt look good, for both men and women. Baggy pants hide your assets! Ditch the loose jeans and find something that fits.
Tip: Unless you’re at the gym, avoid wearing sweatpants or leggings that have lost their shape.
3 Choose high-waisted pants and skirts.
Skirts, pants and dresses that fit tightly around your natural waist help to emphasize the curve of your booty. Select high-waisted jeans, pencil skirts, and a-line dresses that fit snugly around the narrowest part of your waist.
- If you can’t find any, look for vintage styles, which tend to have higher waists to begin with.
4 Cinch your waist.
If you are wearing a loose-fitting blouse or dress, cinch your waist with a belt or scarf. The smaller your midsection looks, the bigger and rounder your booty appears.
- Alternatively, tie a sweatshirt or flannel shirt around your waist–but only if it looks good with the outfit.
5 Wear heels.
High heels can lift and push out your butt, making it look rounder. Stiletto heels are the most effective for this purpose. However, be aware that wearing heels too much can injure your back and feet. Choose a pair of heels that you are comfortable walking in, and limit your time wearing heels to 1-2 hours per day.
- Bring a comfortable pair of shoes that you can change into when you are done wearing the heels. Flip flops and ballet flats are easy to fit into a bag or tote.
6 Buy padded undergarments.
If you need a rounder butt, but don’t have time to go to the gym, then silicone padded shapewear is a good bet. Insert the silicone gel pads and you will instantly have a rounder backside.
- Silicone shapewear is available for both men and women. If you are a man hoping to make your butt look rounder, get some men’s shapewear trunks or briefs.
7 Get butt-lifting underwear if you’d rather not wear padding.
Look for butt-lifting shorts or girdles that are designed to lift and shape your butt. Some of these butt shapers are designed with cutouts to define the shape of your individual buttocks, while others are made to lift and support the entire butt.
Tip: You can even find butt-shapers that also flatten your belly and make your waist look narrower. These are known as “shape wear.”